Sunday, January 08, 2012

flying toothpick


My two brothers, their wives, kids and my mom were visiting with us on New Year's Day. We had just finished eating a delicious family dinner. Ready for dessert, my sister-in-law brings out a chocoflan. I never had chocoflan before (flan with chocolate cake on the bottom). My mom was cutting out pieces and putting them in plates while my sister-in-law passed it around.
A quarter of the way through the chocoflan, and while I waited for my piece, I took a toothpick and began picking at a tooth and listening to my brother talk. Just as I was about to say something, the toothpick flew out of my mouth!
Now picture it in slow motion.
The toothpick flying out of my mouth, toothpick swirling in midair, my brother's eyes popped wide open. He knew where the toothpick was headed. "Noooo!!!", he yelled out. I turned to see where it landed... right in the middle of the chocoflan!
Everyone just watched in horror!
I quickly reacted, grabbed my knife and cut the piece where the toothpick landed.
Chocoflan anyone?
"Gross!", said Sal. "Ewww! Not with teeth juice on it!", said Pily. "I practically saw a shish kabob landing on it!"
Well, I guess, dessert was ruined and the teasing continued for the rest of the evening.
Two lessons learned:
One: A good way to stay away from desserts, and
Two: Never pick your teeth and talk at the same time at the dinner table!

No comments: